Criminal Defense Lawyer in Michigan
Shannon Smith is known for defending the most difficult criminal cases in Michigan. She started off focusing her career on sex crimes, however, you will find her consistently representing high-profile clients charged with various crimes throughout the state.
In most of Shannon’s cases, the alleged victims are children and her clients are accused of the most serious offenses including criminal sexual conduct, sexual abuse, felony child abuse, felony murder and rape.
The difference between Michigan attorney Shannon Smith and most other lawyers becomes obvious as soon as you talk to her. You will immediately see that Shannon is very experienced and knowledgeable about defending very serious criminal cases including sex crimes and allegations of serious child abuse. She has multi-disciplinary experience after representing clients in criminal courts and juvenile courts. She has successfully fought for and defended clients who have faced termination of parental rights and cases where Child Protective Services is involved.
When allegations are made, there is often a psychological element that other lawyers miss, whether that be an issue with a suggestible child, a client who has made a false confession or an investigation that includes police bias and tunnel vision. You will immediately see that Shannon can develop a game plan to defend your case and determine a strategy to combat the allegations from the very beginning. By relying on extensive experience and prior successes, Shannon is known for bringing clients a sense of security and hope.
Get the Personalized Attention You Need
When you are working on your case with Shannon, you will see that you get an attorney who will give you the individualized attention that your case needs. Shannon takes the time to get to know all of her clients and understand the case inside and out. You will also see that Shannon is very passionate about the work she does and the clients she represents. To read what past clients have said about Shannon, click here.
In addition to handling her own caseload, Shannon is also frequently contacted by other attorneys to consult regarding their criminal sexual conduct cases and major child abuse murder cases involving children. Shannon regularly presents to other defense lawyers, prosecutors and judges on topics including Child Protective Services, DNA issues and criminal sexual conduct cases involving children. Shannon has become one of the most respected attorneys in Michigan, specifically in her narrow practice areas. She is known for her zealous and effective representation of clients facing allegations of criminal sexual conduct and child abuse throughout the state. After years of overwhelming success, Shannon has been featured in the Michigan Super Lawyers Magazine and several newspapers for representing clients accused of Michigan's worst crimes. In 2017, newspapers across the United States featured Shannon’s work and dedication. You can read the article here.
Shannon Smith graduated college from the University of Michigan and earned her law degree at Michigan State College of Law. Since then, she has practiced law in Michigan state and federal courts. Shannon has attended some of the most prestigious trainings for lawyers throughout the country including the National Criminal Defense College in Macon, Georgia. She is also a graduate of Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College in Dubois, Wyoming, which only accepts 55 students at a time to attend the program. Shannon maintains a state and federal practice and is known for representing the lead defendant on the first criminal case of female genital mutilation in the United States, a complicated case that is certain to create precedent on first impression issues.
Shannon Smith has been recognized by Super Lawyers every year since 2011. She is among the Top 100 Attorneys from the National Trial Lawyers Association and the Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 from the American Trial Lawyers Association. She is rated 10/10 by Avvo, a website that ranks lawyers across the country based on experience, industry recognition and input from other lawyers and past clients. Shannon is an active member on the Education Committee for the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan. Shannon is also a member of the Professional Advisory Board for a Useful Sex Offender Registry.
Outside of work, Shannon enjoys working out at boot camp classes and spending time with her husband and four children.
Admitted to Practice
- Michigan State Bar Association (practicing also in the Michigan Court of Appeals and the Michigan Supreme Court)
- Practicing in many counties and courts throughout Michigan
- United States District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court – Western District of Michigan
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts
- Michigan State College of Law, Juris Doctor
- Graduate of the National Criminal Defense College
- Graduate of Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College, Death Penalty program, Defense of the Damned, and Graduate Course II
- Graduate of the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan Trial College
- Awarded the Women's Bar Association Evelyn Forrest Distinguished Advocate Award, 2014
- Super Lawyer, 2014-2019
- Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Rated 10/10 on Avvo.com
- National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Attorneys, 2013-2019
- Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 - American Trial Lawyers Association, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Member of the Professional Advisory Board for a Useful Sex Offender Registry
- Member of the National Child Abuse Defense & Resource Center
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan (CDAM), Education Committee Member
- State Bar of Michigan (Criminal Law & Family Law Sections)
- Women's Law Bar Association, Oakland County Bar Association